IsaPeanut Butter and Banana (My kids love this one)
- 2 slice(s) whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounce(s) white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup(s) Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 pound(s) lean ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns, (optional)
- Lettuce leaves & tomato slices, for garnish
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to the breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if using.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Oil the grill rack. Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165 degrees F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds, if using. Serve burgers on buns, garnished with lettuce, tomato and Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if desired.
Strawberries, toasted almonds, and tangy dressing make this refreshing salad my VERY favorite salad to eat alone or with a meal! At 70 calories for a 1 cup serving it is awesome!
25 Minutes to Prepare and Cook
DRESSING . . .
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
SALAD . . .
1/4 cup sliced and toasted almonds
8 oz strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 medium cucumber, sliced and cut in half
1/4 small red onion, sliced into thin wedges
1 pkg (6 oz) baby spinach
For dressing. zest lemon to measure 1/2 tsp zest. Juce lemon to measure 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Combine zest, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds. Whish until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve salad. Toast almonds 10 minutes in toaster oven, set aside to cool.
FOR SALAD . . .
Hull and slice strawberries into quarters. Peel cucumber, slice lengthwise to de-seed, then slice into thin wedges. Place spinach into bowl, adding strawberries, cucumber, and onion. Whisk dressing and pour over salad, gently tossing to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 10
Concord Waldorf salad
Waldorf salad is often served with a creamy dressing, but in this incredibly healthy version, the sweetness of the grapes speaks for itself. Walnut oil is a source of omega 3 fatty acids that augment the heart and brain benefits of the grapes.
2 cups red apples, diced
2 cups green apples, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
2 cups concord grapes, seedless
1 cup walnuts
4 tablespoons walnut oil
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Toss together the apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, apple cider vinegar and salt.
3. Toss together and serve.
Makes six servings